A competitive and stable tax credit program. A history of screen-based storytelling spanning fifty years. Even Vancouver’s time zone. For four decades, these factors played a key role in the success of Vancouver VFX & Animation industry’s high concentration of homegrown studios and experienced creatives.
From the world’s first CG TV series on ABC to a seemingly endless procession of major animated feature films and highly rated television series, Vancouver has grown through the decades to establish itself as a world-leading centre of VFX & animation talent and technology.
With more than 150 businesses comprising Vancouver’s visual effects and animation industry and an unmatched array of globally acclaimed training programs, the city is one of the world’s most significant clusters of domestic and foreign-owned studios. As such, it is a sought-after destination for creative professionals to pursue fulfilling animation and visual effects careers.
Thanks to this accumulation of talent, Vancouver continues its long track record of producing cutting-edge animated content ranging from award-winning shorts to internationally renowned series and feature films.
While known the world over for its work on features and series, professionals in the industry also regularly lend their talents to game cinematics, commercials, advertising firms, educational content, not-for-profits and other content creation services.
Why do VFX & Animation Studios Choose Vancouver?
- Impressive and ever-increasing concentration of companies and talent, matched by first-rate infrastructure
- Peerless concentration of highly ranked and globally recognized animation and visual effects programs
- Collaborative and close-knit environment, naturally fostered by the city’s compact design
- Proximity to major industry hubs in the US, including Los Angeles, Silicon Valley, and Seattle
- Business-friendly climate, tax incentives and outstanding quality of life
In Vancouver, over 60 studios make up the VFX and Animation industry, making it the world’s largest cluster of domestic and foreign-owned studios. The industry has a long track record of producing cutting edge animated content ranging from award-winning shorts to internationally renowned series and feature films.