Is your favorite hashtag #vancouverisawesome? Are you a research sleuth who likes to dig into the data and facts about what drives Vancouver’s economy? Does your creative mind enable you to see engaging stories and campaign opportunities from these insights? If you’re looking to tap into both your analytical and creative strengths, then consider applying to join the Vancouver Economic Commission as their expert in research and engagement strategies.
About the Vancouver Economic Commission
The Vancouver Economic Commission (VEC) is positioning Vancouver as a globally recognized city for innovative, creative and sustainable business. The VEC, an agency of the City of Vancouver, works to strengthen the city’s economic future by branding Vancouver as a premier destination for smart talent, smart capital, and smart business.
You are a passionate research professional with experience leading market studies and fact-finding initiatives. You are known as an insights whiz who can come up with new ways to promote Vancouver as a 21st century city. But you’re not just about the numbers – your creative mind helps you easily envision compelling stories and campaigns that will engage and attract audiences. You also understand the importance of taking a break from the screen to support, encourage, and collaborate with those around you. Your marketing mindset has helped you excel at presenting results – and you live and breathe everything Vancouver.
About the Position
Reporting to the Director, Marketing & Research, the Research and Engagement Strategist plays a key role within the VEC’s Marketing & Research team by establishing a rigorous evidence base that supports the VEC’s strategic priorities and organizational decision-making. At the VEC, research does not just sit on the shelf gathering dust, it’s an engine to everything they do.
As the Research and Engagement Strategist, you will proactively identify stakeholders – locally, regionally and internationally – who need to know about Vancouver’s economic opportunities. You will also build internal processes and capacity to manage data and evaluate the VEC’s performance metrics.
- Plan and implement engagement strategies to attract talent and capital to Vancouver within the VEC’s key focus areas using research as an engine and working closely with the Marketing and Research team.
- Manage VEC data using appropriate CRM technology, and identify best tools to use in order to design and implement engagement strategies for maximum impact ie: VEC newsletter or talent attraction campaigns;
- Identify, design and implement appropriate research projects that support sector development and Asia Pacific strategies, and increased brand awareness for the VEC and Vancouver as an innovative, creative and sustainable place for business;
- Produce and/or deliver presentations related to VEC’s work for internal and external stakeholder audiences working closely with the Manager of Research & Analysis and Branding Coordinator;
- Proactively research news, current events and trends as related to the VEC’s key sectors and share with Marketing & Research team for content creation purposes, to ensure that VEC is recognised as the leading voice for economic issues in Vancouver.
- Assess and analyze relevant data sources and report back on opportunities related to the local economy, VEC priorities, and the impact of the VEC’s work;
- Assess and analyze engagement tools, and training opportunities that can build internal economic development research, evaluation and engagement capacity among staff;
- Manage the VEC’s pre and post event evaluation needs and report back for continuous improvement;
- Develop project tracking controls, and provide quality assurance on project documents (establish and monitor KPIs)
- Provide research support as needed on communications initiatives that relate to creating content that promotes local success stories;
- Manage selected external consultants on research or engagement projects.
Required Skills & Experience
- 5+ years of marketing experience, with 2+ years in market research
- Diploma or degree in marketing, communications or related discipline
- Great presentation and communication skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite including PowerPoint, Word, Excel and Outlook
- Experience with CRM tools an asset
- Motivated, energetic team player that engages well at all levels of the organization
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability and willingness to manage multiple priorities
- Ability to work independently and manage time effectively
- Self-motivated, goal oriented
The VEC office is located in the downtown Vancouver business district steps away from rapid transit.