Position: Digital Marketing & Design Assistant (contract position)
Department: Marketing & Research
Reports to: Director, Brand and Research
Employment Type: 6 months, full-time, contract position with possibility to extend
Compensation: $4,500/month (based on 35 hour week)
Application Deadline: Wednesday, February 9, 2022
Main Purpose and Function
The Digital Marketing & Design Assistant is responsible for assisting in the development, build and design of digital communications material in all forms of media, in line with the VEC brand and style guide.
Key Contacts and Reporting Relationships
The Digital Marketing & Design Assistant will work within the Marketing and Research team at VEC and would specifically support the work of our Brand & Design Specialist, and would report to our Director, Brand and Research.
The Digital Marketing & Design Assistant is expected to work with and support other VEC team members as required and approved, and liaise professionally and respectfully with leadership within VEC and with VEC’s stakeholders.
Performance goals, workplans and work allocation will be agreed on a regular basis with the Brand & Design Specialist, and as approved by the Director, Brand & Research and ultimately the CEO. These goals and workplans will be adapted from time to time as business and organizational needs evolve.
Duties and Responsibilities
Specific duties will vary as work is allocated, but will most often include playing a supporting role (and often a leading role) in the following:
- Assist in the production, promotion and tracking of metrics of on-brand digital marketing assets for use on our digital platforms including website, social media, and email marketing campaigns.
- Assist in the design and layout of industry white papers, including chart design, data visualization, and report formatting.
- Create, develop, and maintain on-brand content for the VEC website, specifically the sourcing of stock photography and footage.
- Utilize comprehensive knowledge of VEC’s objectives, brand, and audience to inform strong ideas and design decisions.
- Actively collaborate in brainstorming sessions and ideation processes.
- Update and maintain the VEC creative asset library and VEC style guide.
- Basic photography, video capture and editing to support our creative content needs.
- Create on-brand presentations that promote the VEC as the go-to resource for Vancouver’s economy AND position Vancouver as a leading city for business.
- Assist with on-site, and/or online logistics and the development of marketing collateral to support VEC events.
- Maintain high standards for execution and attention to detail in all aspects of design, organization and communication.
Minimum Position Requirements
Education and experience
- Minimum 3 years of experience as graphic designer or equivalent in digital communications.
- Graduation from a recognized post-secondary communications, art or design program.
- Highly organized with the ability to handle multiple projects/deadlines and multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to collaborate across teams and departments to amplify and strengthen the VECs brand.
- Ability to accurately estimate scope of work and timelines to complete tasks.
- Strong understanding of design principles and best practices, with demonstrated skills in typography, composition, layout and colour theory.
- Intermediate knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign etc.).
- Intermediate knowledge of MailChimp, WordPress, HTML, and CSS.
- Intermediate knowledge of SEO best practices and SEO-related tools and platforms.
- Current on emerging platforms, digital technologies, digital marketing standards, and best practice industry standards.
- Advanced computer and digital literacy skills (Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Office, Internet/Web, Social Media – specifically primary software such as Word and PowerPoint).
- Intermediate organizational skills.
- Intermediate interpersonal skills.
- Intermediate verbal/written skills.
- Experience with videography, photography and video editing an asset.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Project Management: Demonstrated knowledge of project management methodologies, processes, standards and policies, with a high level of competency in office productivity tools.
- Self-Starter, Proactive, Initiative, Go-getter: Proven ability to effectively drive projects to desired outcomes and results.
- Communication Skills: The ability to deliver concise communications, written and verbal; build compelling, persuasive PowerPoint decks.
- Organizational Skills: Excellent organisational skills, with the ability to concurrently manage multiple tasks and competing priorities in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Detail-oriented: An eye for impeccable accuracy on details relating to the projects at hand.
- Focus and execution: Demonstrated ability to follow direction, incorporate feedback, execute on a plan, and take responsibility for the success of their portion of the project/initiative.
- A people person: Good at developing and maintaining strong working relationships with technical, professional, operational and senior management staff.
- A curious mind: An aptitude for and interest in learning about a wide variety of topics and tools.
How to Apply
At the Vancouver Economic Commission, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, including Indigenous applicants, all genders, nationalities, and persons with disabilities. We thank all applicants for their interest – however, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
To apply, please follow these instructions:
- Email your cover letter and resume as a single pdf file to firstname.lastname@example.org
- In the email subject, be sure to write: [Full Name] – Digital Marketing & Design Assistant Application
- Your cover letter and resume should ideally be in one PDF file with the following filename: [Full Name] – Digital Marketing & Design Assistant Application – Cover Letter & Resume
- Deadline: Wednesday, February 9th, 2022, 5:00pm (PST)
VEC respectfully acknowledges that it is located on the unceded ancestral territories of the Musqueam, Tsleil-Waututh and Squamish Nations.